[Openstack] slow terminate jobs..

Steve Heistand steve.heistand at nasa.gov
Fri May 3 20:04:03 UTC 2013

so its enabled and running. not sure what this all means.
I launched a few instances the messages when up and is holding steady.
Still taking forever to launch more then 1 image.

the updated rabbitmq did default to an ipv6 address which I had to fix
in the rabbit-env file. might have missed something else that needs
tweaked between the older default version and this one.

perhaps unrelated note that the updated openstack/rabbit seems
to have broken my ability to create cinder volumes. the server
nodes show up as down to the controller. Will work on that next.

On 05/03/2013 11:43 AM, Eric_E_Smith at DELL.com wrote:
> Have you by chance looked at the management plugin for RabbitMQ?
> http://www.rabbitmq.com/management.html
>
> You can get great information from the management CLI / Web UI and quickly determine
> if RabbitMQ is having a problem.
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Steve Heistand [mailto:steve.heistand at nasa.gov]
> Sent: Friday, May 03, 2013 1:28 PM To: Smith, Eric E Cc:
> openstack at lists.launchpad.net Subject: Re: [Openstack] slow terminate jobs..
>
> well there are a lot (68) beam.smp processes running, well in existence only a few at
> a time are consuming cpu time. Aside from that Im not sure how to answer the
> question. or does this perhaps indicate a problem:
>
> root at cloudfe:/var/log/rabbitmq# tail /var/log/rabbitmq/rabbit at cloudfe.log
>
> =INFO REPORT==== 3-May-2013::11:14:36 === starting TCP connection <0.14589.260> from
> 10.0.1.16:40015
>
> =INFO REPORT==== 3-May-2013::11:19:13 === accepted TCP connection on [::]:5672 from
> 10.0.1.16:40233
>
> 5 minutes from starting connection to accepted connection.
>
> thanks

> On 05/03/2013 11:22 AM, Eric_E_Smith at DELL.com wrote:
>> How does RabbitMQ look?  Are the messages being consumed in a timely fashion?
>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Openstack
>> [mailto:openstack-bounces+eric_e_smith=dell.com at lists.launchpad.net] On Behalf Of
>> Steve Heistand Sent: Friday, May 03, 2013 1:14 PM To:
>> openstack at lists.launchpad.net Subject: [Openstack] slow terminate jobs..
>
>> so in addition to my problem of really long startup times, the process of trying to
>> terminate a number of instances is taking ages as well. currently into an 18
>> instance terminate and its been 45 minutes. As there probably isnt much data
>> movement involved with terminating a job Im wondering if there is a
>> keystone/nova/mysql/apache/something deadlock going on. normal CLI commands are
>> taking a fairly long time to complete. 10 seconds for a nova service-list (only 16
>> compute nodes) 8 seconds for a userland nova list  (20 instances running) 7 seconds
>> for a keystone tenant-list
>
>> not really sure there is a question in all this aside from something like has
>> anyone else seen such slowness?

- --
 Steve Heistand                          NASA Ames Research Center
 email: steve.heistand at nasa.gov          Steve Heistand/Mail Stop 258-6
 ph: (650) 604-4369                      Bldg. 258, Rm. 232-5
 Scientific & HPC Application            P.O. Box 1
 Development/Optimization                Moffett Field, CA 94035-0001
 "Any opinions expressed are those of our alien overlords, not my own."

# For Remedy                        #
#Action: Resolve                    #
#Resolution: Resolved               #
#Reason: No Further Action Required #