[Openstack] openvswitch instead of quantum

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Sat Jun 22 16:07:40 UTC 2013

Comments inline.

Salvatore

On 22 June 2013 14:09, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml at conversis.de> wrote:

> On 22.06.2013 12:14, Salvatore Orlando wrote:
>
>> Yes, it is a very common use case.
>> Nowadays, everybody who deploys Xen, KVM, or LXC without a Cloud
>> Management System is actually using Open vSwitch.
>> In that case you can program Open vSwitch using its own interface to
>> provide virtual networks.
>>

> Citation needed. I'd say most pepole use the regular linux bridge because
> for a long time this was pretty much the only game in town.

Please forgive the apparent aggressive attitude of this statement.
Allow me to rectify:
"Everybody who deploys Xen, KVM, or LXC can choose to use Open vSwitch,
which comes as the default selection in some case".
It was not my intention to make a statement regarding networking in
Hypervisors, and this kind of discussion also is rather off-topic for this
thread.

>  When deploying Openstack, you can use Open vSwitch without Quantum by
>> deploying nova-network instead.
>> As far as I know every nova-network manager works with Open vSwitch too.
>>

> As far as I know the plan for Havana is to deprecate nova-network so for
> any current development it's a bad idea to use that as a base.
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.**net/nova/+spec/deprecate-nova-**network<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/deprecate-nova-network>

Correct. Unfortunately I did not have more information on the question. So
I just limited myself to give a few pointers to spur a discussion on what
the originator of thread claimed by "openvswitch without quantum".