[Openstack] [Horizon] UX Discussions - proposal for better organization, rising activity and awareness

Jaromir Coufal jcoufal at redhat.com
Tue Jun 18 15:40:29 UTC 2013

Guys, thank you for the discussion, I have some points here (comments
inside the mail)

On 2013/18/06 17:25, Julie Pichon wrote:
> "Gabriel Hurley" <Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com> wrote:
>> I've been hoping some of the more design-oriented folks would weigh in on
>> this issue, but that hasn't particularly happened...
> It seems there are already a few of them on the G+ community, it would be worthwhile to also have this conversation in the current community and see if people agree with the problem and are interested in trying out a new option. I started a thread pointing to this one over there.
Yeah, the idea and conversation started there originally. However there
is not much activity yet and there was no reply. So the question lies
there for few weeks already. Hopefully there will be some reaction on
revived post.

>> My concern is that as engineers we're all comfortable with GitHub, but that
>> it will end up being an impediment or discouragement for people who fall
>> more on the creative side. I don't disagree with the benefits as stated and
>> I'm willing to give any solution a try, but I want to be careful that we
>> don't alienate a portion of the contributors by our choice of tools.
> I share with this concern, although I also very much agree with Jaromir on the downsides of the current setup.
I completely understand and share the concern as well.

However, my thinking is... GitHub is mainly for developers, but not only
for them. And it is just about registration to GitHub to be active and
be able to comment there, nothing more (even more, you see all the
issues without registration).
What I love about that is not just having better format for discussions,
but also getting closer to main development stream. So the people who
are creative and might help with UX improvement ideas, gets also to the
reality of implementation and in the end hopefully these two streams
would meet together - which would be amazing result. Both can learn from
each other.

Because, the same concern occurs when we try to move Horizon development
oriented people to discussions on G+ community.

Cheers,
-- Jarda