[Openstack] Another basic Swift question

Kuo Hugo tonytkdk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 03:43:23 UTC 2013

Hi Mark,

Well, the ring without rebalance will not effect anything.
With a update, there're no partitions been assigned to the new
devices.Result of partition numbers of a new device will be 0. Which means
no any object will be calculated for these new devices.

In the case of adding a new server (devices) to the ring, it should still
work properly.
What you need is to understand the mechanism of replicator and the theory
of partions in Swift.

I have to point out a key concept of "partition". It's a "logic partition"
in swift layer instead of a real partition on disk.

When a partition been assigned to a new device. it's much more like that
your parking slot changed from first floor to second floor. Your can won't
be destroyed but wait for moving to new place. :)  Hope it help.

Cheers

+Hugo Kuo+
hugo at swiftstack.com
tonytkdk at gmail.com