[Openstack] Another basic Swift question

Mark Brown ntdeveloper2002 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 14 01:41:43 UTC 2013

When a new server is added to an existing cluster, and I now update the ring with the new device, but at the same time, I do NOT rebalance, will things work correctly?

I am assuming if I don't rebalance, but I do update the ring, the ring has the new partition scheme with the new device information, so new data will go to the new device. But at the same time, an existing object which previously hashed to a specific partition on a specific server can possibly hash to a different partition on a different server, so how do old objects get accessed? I do understand I should do the rebalance, and I will at a certain point in time, but I wanted to understand the behavior if I update the ring and don't do the rebalance

Cheers,
-- Mark