[Openstack] Disk Recommendation - OpenStack Swift

Jan Drake jan_drake at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 29 17:02:40 UTC 2013

A presentation at the first openstack design summit was given in which a
vendor did a couple of petabyte swift implementations.  In that
presentation, they explained that in one implementation they used
enterprise drives and another desktop drives.

Enterprise drive failures were higher due to lack of burn-in and cost was
higher.
Desktop drive failures were close to zero as they found a vendor to burn
them in upon purchase.

The net net here is this:

- Use commodity hardware
- Plan for failures
- Use chassis that make it quick/easy to replace drives

Intel is working on a 12 drive array (inexpensive by their terms) that is
meant to be throw-awayŠ sealed chassisŠ automatically fails drives over
and links to other drive arrays.

Cheapest is best for file/object storage.  Block storage may be a
different matter depending on your requirements.

Jan