[Openstack] Disk Recommendation - OpenStack Swift

Chuck Thier cthier at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 16:42:45 UTC 2013

Hi John,

It would be difficult to recommend a specific drive, because things
change so often.   New drives are being introduced all the time.
Manufacturers buy their competition and cancel their awesome products.
 So the short answer is that you really need to test the drives out in
your environment and in your use case.  I can pass on some wisdom from
our experience.

1.  "Enterprise" drives are not worth it.  We have not seen a
significant difference between the failure rate of enterprise class
drives and commodity drives.  I have heard this as well from other
large swift deployers, as well as other large storage providers.  Even
if enterprise drives had a significantly less failure rate, the added
cost would not be worth it.

2.  Be wary of "Green" drives.  The green features on these drives can
work against you in a swift cluster (like auto parking heads and
spinning down).  If you are going with a green drive, make sure they
are well tested, and/or at least have the capability to turn these
features off.

3.  Go big.  If you can, use 3T or larger drives.  You get a more even
distribution and better overall utilization with larger drives.

4.  Don't believe everything you read on the internet (including me
:))  Test! Test! Test!

--
Chuck