[Openstack] [openstack-dev] Optionally force instances to "stay put" on resize

Michael Basnight mbasnight at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 03:46:02 UTC 2013

On Feb 15, 2013, at 9:35 PM, Michael J Fork wrote:

> Adding general and operators for additional feedback.
>
> Michael J Fork/Rochester/IBM wrote on 02/15/2013 10:59:46 AM:
>
> > From: Michael J Fork/Rochester/IBM
> > To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org,
> > Date: 02/15/2013 10:59 AM
> > Subject: Optionally force instances to "stay put" on resize
> >
> > The patch for the configurable-resize-placement blueprint (https://
> > blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/configurable-resize-placement)
> > has generated a discussion on the review boards and needed to be
> > brought to the mailing list for broader feedback.
> >
> > tl;dr would others find useful the addition of a new config option
> > "resize_to_same_host" with values "allow", "require", "forbid" that
> > deprecates "allow_resize_to_same_host" (functionality equivalent to
> > "allow" and "forbid" in "resize_to_same_host")?  Existing use cases
> > and default behaviors are retained unchanged.  The new use case is
> > "resize_to_same_host = require" retains the exact same external API
> > sematics and would make it such that no user actions can cause a VM
> > migration (and the network traffic with it).  An administrator can
> > still perform a manual migration that would allow a subsequent
> > resize to succeed.  This patch would be most useful in environments
> > with 1GbE or with large ephemeral disks.
> >
> > Blueprint  Description
> >
> > > Currently OpenStack has a boolean "allow_resize_to_same_host"
> > > config option that constrains
> > > placement during resize. When this value is false, the
> > > ignore_hosts option is passed to the scheduler.
> > > When this value is true, no options are passed to the scheduler
> > > and the current host can be
> > > considered. In some use cases - e.g. PowerVM - a third option of
> > > "require same host' is desirable.
> > >
> > > This blueprint will deprecate the "allow_resize_to_same_host"
> > > config option and replace it with
> > > "resize_to_same_host" that supports 3 values - allow, forbid,
> > > require. Allow is equivalent to true in the
> > > current use case (i.e. not scheduler hint, current host is
> > > considered), forbid to false in current use case
> > > (i.e. the ignore_hosts scheduler hint is set), and require forces
> > > the same host through the use of the
> > > force_hosts scheduler hint.
> >
> > To avoid incorrectly paraphrasing others, the review comments
> > against the change are below in their entirety followed by my
> > comments to those concerns.  The question we are looking to answer -
> > would others find this function useful and / or believe that
> > OpenStack should have this option?
> >
> > Comments from https://review.openstack.org/#/c/21139/:
> >
> > > I still think this is a bad idea. The only reason the flag was
> > > there in the first place was so we could
> > > run tempest on devstack in the gate and test resize. Semantically
> > > this changes the meaning of resize
> > > in a way that I don't think should be done.
> >
> > > I understand what the patch does, and I even think it appears to
> > > be functionally correct based on
> > > what the intention appears to be. However, I'm not convinced that
> [...]
Not that its in trunk right now, but openvz allows for online memory resizing, so resizing to the same host is optimal. Personally im not sure the 3 way switch, so to speak, is needed, but i would like to see allow_resize_on_same_host to persist for container based technologies. I cant say if lxc allows this, but maybe someone else can speak to that.