[Openstack] Neutron ML2 questions

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 02:10:42 UTC 2013

On 12/26/2013 08:41 PM, Li, Chen wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I just read the presentation slides showcased in the Openstack Hongkong
> summit, on “Openstack Neutron Modular Layer 2 Plugin Deep Dive”.
>
> http://fr.slideshare.net/mestery/modular-layer-2-in-openstack-neutron
>
> I have some questions, hope someone can help me.
>
> Q1. P7 : there is a new feature “top of Rack switch control”, what is a
> rack switch means ? Why ML2 can do top control of it ?

A networking device that typically lives at the top of a rack and
performs routing (i.e. it acts as the default gateway) for hardware
devices in that rack is called a "top of rack switch" or TOR [1]. When
the phrase "top of rack switch control" is used, it means that Neutron's
ML2 plugin can control that TOR switch directly via the switch's native
management interfaces.

Best,
-jay

[1]