[Openstack] neutron install guide wording question

August Simonelli augustsimonelli at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 24 00:07:28 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I’m currently going through the havana install guide for a yum-based distro and planning my required hardware. I was hoping to only use two hosts and needed some clarification around neutron:

Do i need a dedicated network node (exclusive of controller and compute) if i want to use neutron as per the guide? The install guide (http://docs.openstack.org/havana/install-guide/install/yum/content/neutron-install-network-node.html) lists 3 scenarios, one each for dedicated network/compute/controller but the wording is confusing me:

Install Networking services on a dedicated network node
Install networking support on a dedicated compute node
Install networking support on a dedicated controller node

I first thought these were mutually exclusive, If i wanted to run networking on it’s own node, use the first, if i wanted networking on compute use the second etc.

But i noticed the wording uses “services” for network node and “support” for the others. Is it correct to assume this example is NOT mutually exclusive and rather each step must be taken on individual respective nodes (one network, one compute and one controller) in a single cloud (i.e. therefor a minimum of 3 nodes)?

Thanks in advance,

August