[Openstack] Object storage only - Swift or Ceph ?

Cedric Lemarchand cedric at yipikai.org
Mon Dec 23 17:24:21 UTC 2013

Hello,

I am evaluating an object storage solution based on OpenStack (only
object storage, no needs for Nova/Cinder).
The common way would be the use of Swift (which I have already played a
bit with, the concept of the "ring" is simply awesome ...).
The other way is Ceph, it seams to be the "new challenger", in the way
that it can handle file/block/object, but seams to be not ready yet for
production use, and not very well documented (yet).

So the question is what would be the best technology to start with now ?
I mean does Ceph could replace Swift in a near future (eg IceHouse or
the next one) ?

Any advices are welcome, and will be greatly appreciated.

Cédric