[Openstack] Bringing focus to the Operators and Users at the next summit

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Sun Dec 22 14:49:41 UTC 2013

For the state problem:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/TaskFlow

Presentation I did at the HK summit:

http://www.slideshare.net/harlowja/taskflow-27820295<http://www.slideshare.net/mobile/harlowja/taskflow-27820295>

It was designed to help with this and other issues, including saving state between restarts/crashes... More contributors and people to integrate it are always welcome.

Overall I know y! would love to be involved in further discussions as we have hit some of the same issues.

Sent from my really tiny device...

On Dec 21, 2013, at 11:32 PM, "Matt Van Winkle" <mvanwink at rackspace.com<mailto:mvanwink at rackspace.com>> wrote:

I'm torn.  I get the benefit of trying to do this at another event when a lot of folks will be there anyway, but at the same time, I think there are some pretty significant discussions we need to have, as operators, if we want to push Openstack to be what it can be.  If that's the case, I don’t' know that trying to fit a few talks, sessions or other short visits inside another event is going to do it justice.

>From the pain of large deploys, to the inability to run some services in a redundant fashion to the lack of maintaining state when services restart, there are a lot of areas we, as users, can give feedback to the TC and the developers that will help make this product a viable competitor to other cloud offerings (like EC2) out there.  It's not there right now, at least at scale, and I think it's up to us to change the trend of development/thought from that of building a cool private cloud technology to scaling the product to 10's of thousands, 100's of thousands or millions of nodes.  A lot needs to be done to make that happen.

Anyway, I think to accurately hash out the things we like to see for all this, we should find a time that we can get together for a couple days and discuss it all in detail without trying to stay focused on material from another conference.  That's my $.02 at least.  I'll gladly do what ever, but wanted to challenge this current thread about attaching this effort to another event a little.

Thanks a ton!
Matt