[Openstack] How to configure multiple glance servers

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Dec 20 17:16:08 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Rajshree Thorat's message of 2013-12-18 21:33:59 -0800:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying multinode Grizzly deployment. On a separate node, I
> registered glance services and relative endpoints
> in keystone. If I want to run glance on multiple host servers, do I need
> to register two glance services in keystone?

No.

> or do I still just need one glance service but add more endpoints?

No.

> How I can launch a image on specific glance server?

Setup a load balancer on both that points to localhost and the other
glance server. Haproxy is popular. Have glance listen on a different port
and let haproxy serve the usual glance port. Then setup some method of
having the hostname or IP shared. Simplest solution is to just use RRDNS.
Also if you already have a load balancer for other pieces then you can
just use that.

To make that work right then you need to make the glance storage shared.

Most of the storage backends are pretty massive scale. Your simplest
choice is probably to use the default 'file' store and just share the
directory via NFS.

Note that you probably want to read this:

http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-ops/content/cloud_controller_design.html#images

and perhaps these:

http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/config-reference/content/ch_configuring-openstack-image-service.html
http://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide-cloud/content/ch_introduction-to-openstack-compute.html#section_images-and-instances