[Openstack] [DevStack] Using create-stack-user.sh

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Dec 19 11:41:00 UTC 2013

On 12/17/2013 09:28 PM, Dean Troyer wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Everett Toews
> <everett.toews at rackspace.com <mailto:everett.toews at rackspace.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'd like to run DevStack using create-stack-user.sh but am getting
>     an error.
>

> [...]
>

>     but having to clone the repo again feels wrong.
>

> Understood, but chicken-v-egg here...
>
>     How is create-stack-user.sh intended to be used? Is there a way to
>     use the stack user to run stack.sh without permission problems? What
>     is the command flow?
>

> Honestly, I don't use it.  I run DevStack in disposable VMs and use
> either the default user ('ubuntu' on precise, etc) or my own account if
> I have one pre-configured.  Its existance was because someone originally
> wanted to run stack.sh as root and we didn't want that.  I extracted
> that out of stack.sh so we could just say "Don't Do That" (run stack.sh
> as root) to side-step a class of subtle problems like what you are seeing.
>

>     P.S. Is it a bug that create-stack-user.sh doesn't have the user
>     execute bit set?
>

> Yes.  Again, I don't use it and never noticed.  Thanks.

The crux being that devstack is really intended to be started from a
non-priv user. There is nothing special about that user, you just add it
and put it in you sudoers group.

useradd -m -G sudo -s /bin/bash -p 'biguglyhashpassword value' stack

Does this correctly on Ubuntu on a Rackspace cloud instance.

I suspect part of the collision of expectations is the Rackspace public
cloud isn't setting up the default user, but instead the root user.
Which is an oddity for Ubuntu images. I've been writing some local
automation around this recently, so been running into that.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
Samsung Research America