[Openstack] Auto assign Floating IP

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Wed Dec 11 10:56:19 UTC 2013

This feature will be available in neutron for the Icehouse release, and
will cause a floating IP to be created everytime a VM is booted.
However, it is unlikely that feature will be backported.

For Havana users, the best workaround so far, in my opinion, is:
1) create a port on a subnet connected to a router
    Note: the router must have a gateway set
2) create a floating IP on the external network associating it to the port
created at #1
    Note: the external network must be the same at the one where the
router's gateway is connected
3) boot the VM using the port created at #1 (--nic port-id=xxx)

Regards,
Salvatore