[Openstack] vmwareapi with VMwareESXDriver

Ramon Acedo ramon at linux-labs.net
Sat Dec 7 00:55:29 UTC 2013

Hi Thomas,

On 3 Dec 2013, at 14:41, Thomas McLaughlin <mclaughi at adobe.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Requirements
>
> One
>
> We do not want to pay to use vCenter as part of our open stack we are setting up.

You need to, at least, buy a vSphere Essentials license to manage the free ESXi hypervisor via the vSphere API:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2005377

> Two
>
> One of the instances we are going to run on ESXi needs to be Mac OS

I'd love to see the new Mac Pro with an ESXi installed in it, I’m sure it will fly. The previous Mac Pro is in VMware’s HCL:
http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=server&productid=27384&deviceCategory=server&partner=269&releases=243&page=1&display_interval=10&sortColumn=Partner&sortOrder=Asc

Using Apple hardware you can have a supported Mac OS X. I have only run VMs with Mac OS X on VMware Fusion and only with some, not supported, patching on VMware Workstation. Still need to try ESXi+Mac Pro+Mac OS X VMs though.

> Three
>
> I believe with the vmwareapi.VMwareESXDriver: a driver that lets nova-compute communicate directly to an ESX host we can accomplish One and Two but I want to be sure someone else has achieved this first.

Unfortunately I don’t believe that you can accomplish One as I said above.