[Openstack] Ubuntu Image for VM

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 5 17:48:52 UTC 2013

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013, Calvin Walton wrote:

> On Tue, 2013-11-26 at 08:41 +0000, Sahid Ferdjaoui wrote:
> > Hi Mahardhika,
> >
> >     http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/
> >
> > They are resized during the boot.
> > s.
>
> Hi, just to note: The Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid) qcow images on the
> cloud-images site don't automatically resize. The Amazon-style (AMI/AKI)
> ones do. This is due to Ubuntu 10.04 having an outdated version of the
> "cloud-init" package installed.

Well, thats generally not true.  The issue is not cloud-init, but rather
lack of cloud-utils (cloud-initramfs-growroot).

> This issue only affects the Ubuntu 10.04 images; 12.04 and all newer
> versions do resize the qcow2 images correctly on first boot.

I did do work to get this functional at
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~cloud-initramfs-tools/cloud-initramfs-tools/lucid-growroot/files
(see README.txt).

Two things to be aware of in the README there
a.) don't be afraid of 'backdoor-image' its really just used for its
'mount-callback-umount' which conveniently mounts and unmounts a qcow2
image all in one command.  That command is now available in 13.10 and
later through cloud-utils as 'mount-image-callback'. guestmount would
provide similar function.

b.) you can do all of the things there from an instance itself.  Ie, I'd
patch the qcow.img file from inside an instance and then publish it that
way rather than doing it on my local system.

the qcow2 "full disk" images are generally preferable to AMI style images,
as 'apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot' will [HORAY!] boot you into a new
kernel.