[Openstack] [OpenStack][KVM] Calculation of the number of virtual machines on a single node.

Rahul Sharma rahulsharmaait at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 12:51:54 UTC 2013

Hi Vladimir,

You might also need to check the flags given in nova.conf for
virtual-memory, virtual-cpu to physical-memory, physical-cpu mapping. If
not specified in nova.conf, default value is taken for them. You can have a
look at table 5.22 on this link:-
http://docs.openstack.org/essex/openstack-compute/admin/content/compute-options-reference.html

For eg, as per the table, "ram_allocation_ratio=1.5", this statement states
that virtual memory used by all the instances combined can be 1.5*(physical
memory) present on the system.

Similarly, the ratio for CPU's is 1:16 but its customizable with those
flags.

Thanks and Regards
Rahul Sharma