[Openstack] questions about storing balance

Robert van Leeuwen Robert.vanLeeuwen at spilgames.com
Mon Aug 26 14:27:03 UTC 2013

Hi,

First you need to make sure you create enough containers.
Especially if you the container servers on spinning disks you should keep it below 1 million objects.

However, I would highly recommend running the containers on SSD's.

Another thing you will have to take in account is the number of files per node/disk.
Expect the cluster to slow down when you have more and more files on the node.
Depending on the number of puts you expect to get the 5 nodes with 10 disks will be on the low side
to handle 300 million files (assuming a replication factor of 3).

Just on the numbers I would suggest to run with more & smaller disks.
Best way to know for sure is running swift-bench or cosbench and fill the cluster with data to see how it performs.

Cheers,
Robert