[Openstack] Baremetal Provisioning for Openstack

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Aug 13 03:04:30 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Jake G.'s message of 2013-08-12 19:10:42 -0700:
> I was trying to find information from other than official openstack documentation. Every time I have followed the openstack docs I have either rendered my whole openstack server unusable or can never get said feature to work. So I am a bit weary to follow, because I have no way to clone my current physical server test environment before i make changes at this time.

Hi Jake. You may want to try switching to one of the fine sets of
puppet recipes or chef cookbooks that will give you a working Grizzly
system that you can re-build from scratch in case you break it. You
might also be interested in the "OpenStack on OpenStack", or "TripleO"
project which takes an image based approach and will give you an image
you can re-deploy to refresh your server. More info here:

http://github.com/openstack/tripleo-incubator

> One thing I need clarification on is, the nova driver that needs to be replaced. What happens to the previous driver and can I no longer use that with KVM?

http://docs.openstack.org/grizzly/openstack-compute/admin/content/selecting-a-hypervisor.html

This explains that for the most part you can only have one hypervisor
at a time, though there are ways around that.

Because of the inherent security problems with baremetal nodes, it is
generally considered a very bad idea to run multiple tenants on nova's
baremetal system at this time. It is suitable for a single tenant though.

Good luck!
-C

p.s. Please don't "top post". For mailing list archives and for some
users who have text based Email clients, the information flow works
better if newer things are below what they're referring to.