[Openstack] hypervisor_type = QEMU even though KVM is installed and working

Daniel Ellison daniel at syrinx.net
Mon Aug 12 14:26:51 UTC 2013

On Aug 12, 2013, at 6:21 AM, Daniel Ellison <daniel at syrinx.net> wrote:
> I was trying out the new Horizon features, specifically the Hypervisors panel in the Admin dashboard. To my surprise it claimed I was using QEMU, not KVM! To verify, I did "nova hypervisor-show 1" and hypervisor_type is listed as QEMU.

It looks like there's a bug in launchpad on this subject:

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1195361

Apparently it's only a cosmetic issue. Also, there's a proposed fix here:

    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/40803/

Some people are arguing that QEMU is the actual hypervisor and that KVM is simply an acceleration technique. Works for me.