[Openstack] Cinder basic questions

Bob Ball bob.ball at citrix.com
Tue Aug 6 12:47:41 UTC 2013

Hi Bryan,

The volumes should appear in the guest under /dev/xvd<num> when they are added.

As long as the guest has PV drivers it should work - so HVM guests (such as Windows or if you have installed Linux as HVM) with PV drivers will also see these volumes added (although clearly with Windows they don't show up under /dev!)

If using iSCSI then the target should appear on the xenserver host as a PBD - so "xe pbd-list" should show one up.  The code that creates this is https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/virt/xenapi/volume_utils.py#L51 - although that's not too obvious because we actually create a XenServer SR and allow that to create the iscsi connection.

You're right that xensm isn't supported in the current code and the docs need to be updated for Havana, but you don't have to use XenAPINFS - that SR is primarily for setups using host aggregates where you want to do in-pool migration between hosts.

Bob