[Openstack] Cinder basic questions

Bryan Solie bsolie at well.com
Tue Aug 6 12:16:48 UTC 2013

I am running OpenStack grizzly on Ubuntu 12.04 with XenServer.

I have tried configuring Cinder with a few different backends, but am not able to get the end-to-end attachment process working.

I have tried LVM/iscsi driver: The volumes can be created.  I attach them, and it returns successfully.  There is an iscsi target on the Cinder host. There is no sign that iscsi target is logged in from the instance I have attached it to, and there's no indication from the CLI that it is actually attached to the instance.

I have tried it with xensm storage backend, which I found in the Grizzly docs.  But this backend no longer seems supported by the code.  Not sure if this is out of sync somehow; I don't know the history.

I have tried it with XenapiNFS, and again, the volumes seem to be created, and I attach them without error, but they are not obviously visible from the instance.  I can't find an iscsi target when I create the volume in this case; I don't know whether there is supposed to be one with this driver or not.  Code suggests no, but I am a Python newbie.

The one that seems most successful for me is the LVM/iscsi driver, but how do I get the volume to automatically login to the created iscsi target?

Is there a requirement to use XenapiNFS if I am on xenserver?  What are the advantages?  And again, how do I get created volumes to be visible from inside the instance?

The doc says with xenserver I can attach volumes only to paravirtualized guests.  I have looked at the PV-bootloader for the instances I have created, and it is blank.  As I understand it, they need to be on pygrub to be paravirtualized?  Again, I am a little new on this, and I have not been able to get much out of google.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bryan