[Openstack] How to use existing DHCP for giving floating IPs in Openstack

ankush grover ankushcentos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 04:05:58 UTC 2013

Thanks Ritesh/Salvatore

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 12:10 AM, Ritesh Nanda <riteshnanda09 at gmail.com>wrote:

> For floating ip you need to define a pool of ip that your machine would
> get. You can use auto_assign floating ip to assing a FIP from the pool
> automatically as the machine gets provisioned.
> Or you can use flat network-manager for nova network and use your existing
> dhcp server to provide ip's to your instance in openstack(in that case your
> machine directly gets a data-centre reachable ip or the ip you want to
> assign as floating ip but In that case Vlans can not be used.
> Hope that helps you

So if I use the external DHCP server then the VMs provisioned inside
openstack will get IPAddress even in-case of non-floating ips in 1 VLAN
only (a common vlan)?  There is no issue if the internal ips(non-floating
ips) can be in the different vlans in that case no need of floating ips and
it will serve my purpose as I need to assign data center reachable ips to
the VMs either in form of floating or non-floating ips.

> cheers
> Ritesh

Regards

Ankush