[Openstack] How to use existing DHCP for giving floating IPs in Openstack

Ritesh Nanda riteshnanda09 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 18:40:13 UTC 2013

For floating ip you need to define a pool of ip that your machine would
get. You can use auto_assign floating ip to assing a FIP from the pool
automatically as the machine gets provisioned.
Or you can use flat network-manager for nova network and use your existing
dhcp server to provide ip's to your instance in openstack(in that case your
machine directly gets a data-centre reachable ip or the ip you want to
assign as floating ip but In that case Vlans can not be used.
Hope that helps you

cheers
Ritesh

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 11:19 PM, Salvatore Orlando <sorlando at nicira.com>wrote:

> Hi Ankush,
>
> unfortunately I am not aware of the possibility of using an external dhcp
> server for quantum, neither in folsom or grizzly).
> Currently, the dnsmasq option appears to be the only available one.
>
> Salvatore
>

> On 16 April 2013 08:02, ankush grover <ankushcentos at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Friends,
>>
>> I have recently installed and configured Openstack Folsom release without
>> quantum on 2-node(Controller & Compute Node) on Ubuntu 12.10. This initial
>> setup was more from the learning perspective. Now I wanto to configure
>> Openstack as Private cloud for the production environment. There are around
>> 150 VLANS in my present organisation and all the machines gets IPAddresses
>> from the Windows 2008 DHCP server. Now we want to use the existing Windows
>> DHCP server for giving the floating ips on the Openstack. Is it possible to
>> configure Openstack in such a way that it can take IPAddresses from the
>> existing DHCP server?
>>
>> Any links/configurations would be very handy.
>>
>> Do let me know if you need any further information.
>>

>> Thanks & Regards
>>
>> Ankush

* With Regards
*