[Openstack] OpenStack Community Weekly Newsletter (Apr 5 – 12)

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Sat Apr 13 00:35:12 UTC 2013

    Highlights of the week

      Introducing the OpenStack Activity Board
      <http://www.openstack.org/blog/2013/04/introducing-the-openstack-activity-board/>

I am pleased to announce that a beta release of the OpenStack Activity
Board (beta) <http://activity.openstack.org/data/> is now live. The
development Activity Board announced few months ago
<http://www.openstack.org/blog/2012/09/providing-a-unified-view-of-openstack-projects/>
provides a visual overview of all the OpenStack public activity of
community members across multiple dimensions: contributors and
organizations, projects and tools. From a single interface, you can
easily surf OpenStack project content, whether it is coming from the
LaunchPad bug tracker, Git or Gerrit, all mapped against the OpenStack
Foundation members database. Join the session at the Summit
<http://openstacksummitapril2013.sched.org/event/ebbf37e343246e0b80bf99540a0c8d86>
to learn more and give feedback.

      The need for releases
      <http://fnords.wordpress.com/2013/04/11/the-need-for-releases/>

The beginning of a new release cycle is as good as any moment to
question why we actually go through the hassle of producing OpenStack
releases. Twice per year
<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Release_Cycle>, on a precise date we
announce 6 months in advance, we bless and publish source code tarballs
of the various integrated projects in OpenStack. Every week we have a
meeting <https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/ProjectMeeting> that
tracks our progress toward this common goal. Read Thierry’s post if you
want to know why.

      International Community Forum – Wednesday April 17 3.40pm in A105
      <http://openstacksummitapril2013.sched.org/event/e45f299aad360fea432241f9b6067eca#.UWaWlrXLo2w>

If you are travelling to the OpenStack Summit from afar, we are holding
an International Forum where we would like you to come along with your
answer to the following question, “What’s an important, unique and
interesting thing about OpenStack in my country”. The aim of the session
is to share the answers so that we all might learn and gather new ideas
for the improvement of the OpenStack community around the world!” It
will be great to see just how many countries we can see represented in
the one room, and a great opportunity for international networking.

      Understanding nova-conductor in OpenStack Nova
      <http://cloudystuffhappens.blogspot.com/2013/04/understanding-nova-conductor-in.html>

Nova conductor is a new service in Nova introduced in the Grizzly
release. It as one of the top three changes in Nova in the Grizzly
cycle, along with bare metal provisioning and cell. In this article, Yun
Mao <http://cloudystuffhappens.blogspot.com/search/label/openstack>
discusses its pros and cons to help you understand it better.

      OpenStack Networking, use of “Quantum”
      <http://markmail.org/message/w37tv4bgzxld7x4a>

We have to phase out the trademark or attention getting use of the code
name “Quantum” when referring to the the OpenStack Networking project,
as part of a legal agreement with Quantum Corporation, the owner of the
“Quantum” trademark. The Board of Directors and Technical Committee
members involved in Networking related development and documentation
were notified so we could start working to remove “Quantum” from public