[Openstack] paas in openstack and forked cloudfoindry

Patrick Chanezon chanezon at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 23:55:55 UTC 2012

Hi Frans, Bisa saya bantu?

I'm not sure what your question is: my perspective on Cloud Foundry and
OpenStack has not changed since last year: "let a thousand clouds bloom!"
http://wordpress.chanezon.com/?p=1729

John from AppFog and Diane from ActiveState expressed really well how Cloud
Foundry helps them address their customer's requirements, and what value
there is in having a common ecosystem around that codebase.

Thanks to PistonCloud's BOSH OpenStack CPI
https://github.com/piston/openstack-bosh-cpi, Cloud Foundry and OpenStack
are now like peanut butter and jelly, letting developers build a private or
public PaaS based 100% on open source software.

I find the the hybrid cloud possibilities opened up by standardizing on the
Cloud Foundry APIs that John outlines in his mail, and that AppFog
implements today super promising, and expect a lot of innovation in that
space in the next few years.

Listing Cloud Foundry forks and what developers are doing with it to solve
their specific needs will be a fun project: I hear about a lot of
innovation where developers fork specific parts of it to add value or solve
a specific problem.

What Rakuten did with Fluentd to persist logs is a good example
https://groups.google.com/a/cloudfoundry.org/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/vcap-dev/fluentd/vcap-dev/pXFkthOwAqg/ZZRsUZQ7_9QJ
The stackato-router that ActiveState announced last week, with websocket
and soon SPDY support
http://www.activestate.com/blog/2012/09/rocking-it-stackato-and-websocketsis
another great example of the kind of innovation that a bazaar style
open
source project can generate.

I'd recommend subscribing to the vcap-dev mailing list, where a lot of the
action around the codebase is.

Last, on the community side, I saw that you created a cloudfoundry-id
group: Terima kasih for that!
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!forum/cloudfoundry-id

Although my Bahasa is very limited, I applied to the group and will rely on
Google Translate to understand what people are posting about and try
answering in english.
Our team organized events in China last year, in India this year, I hope
we'll do something in SE Asia in 2013: I'll keep you in the loop when we
organize it.

I'd like to conclude on a Bob Dylan, quote, from "The Times They Are
A-Changin'", that I think applies very well to the current move from IaaS
to PaaS.

"Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'."

The waters of complexity are rising, so you better start swimmin' to a
higher level of abstraction that PaaS provides you:-)

P@

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Frans Thamura <frans at meruvian.org> wrote:

> thx Peter. awesome explaination
>
> i am working to list the CF cloud implementation, and seek which one
> become opensource again after modification (fork), or make it
> propietary.
>
> esp one of my friend that sell cloud services here just do roadshow
> today. promoting cloud for startup (my test it is using stackato) with
> Microsoft that promoting Azure.
>

> I love have a single CF which the edition can run on OpenStack. (esp
> VMWare is Sponsor for OpenStack summit also -- strange what is the
> positioning between vsphere and openstack --).
>

> i think the variety of CF and OpenStack, will bring more value to both
> community, esp I try to manage both community.
>

> still waiting Patrick Chanezone comment about this, because he is
> DIrector of Developer Relations in VMWare that spoke CloudFoundry
>
> Frans
>

> On 9/15/12, John Purrier <john at openstack.org> wrote:
> > Glad to see some discussion of PaaS and OpenStack on this list. The blog
> > post that Frans linked to below is a very good overview of how we
> (AppFog)
> > use, and contribute to, the Cloud Foundry open source project.
> >
> > What may not be apparent is that Cloud Foundry provides not only a
> starting
> > point for building open PaaS solutions, but also an industry standard
> API.
> > We have implemented CF on a variety of public infrastructures (RAX
> > OpenStack, HP OpenStack, AWS) and have the capability of deploying to
> > standardized private/on-prem cloud solutions (OpenStack based from
> > Rackspace, Piston, Red Hat etc.; AWS compatible from Eucalyptus, etc.).
> > With
> > a standard API definition there is the opportunity to be much more
> > inclusive
> > in the PaaS solution space.
> >
> > For instance, AppFog not only supports Infrastructure Clouds as
> application
> > targets, but also native Platform Clouds, such as Windows Azure. This is
> > made possible through our partnership with Microsoft by building a Cloud
> > Foundry API that translates to the native Windows Azure platform
> services.
> > Going forward we believe that this will become more commonplace, and that
> > the CF API will, in fact, be the defacto PaaS API.
> >
> > Huge opportunities open for cloud providers, IT departments, and
> developers
> > once it is trivial to move application workloads from one cloud to
> another.
> > Whether this is private/public hybrid and bursting scenarios, movement
> > between private data centers to facilitate consolidation, or developers
> > easily being able to leverage multiple cloud providers for HA/DR
> purposes…
> > This is enabled by the common Platform API and services that the open
> Cloud
> > Foundry PaaS project provides.

> [...]

Patrick Chanezon
Senior Director, Developer Relations, VMware
http://cloudfoundry.com/
http://wordpress.chanezon.com/