[Openstack] [Q] What is MaaS?

Kevin Jackson kevin at linuxservices.co.uk
Thu Sep 13 18:35:10 UTC 2012

Hi Frans,
There's a wealth of info over at the MAAS website
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/MAAS/.

It is Canonical's method for PXE booting and installing an OS so that a
further service, called Juju, can be used to assign the functions/roles to
a server that previously had nothing installed (bare metal).
If you're familiar with Cobbler, it is that service with extra hooks to
Juju.

With Juju you can allocate roles to your MAAS provisioned servers such as,
be a Glance server, or Compute host in a very simple way similar to what
apt does for installing packages on a server.

Regards,
Kev