[Openstack] Quantum, Horizon, and IPs

Joe Topjian joe.topjian at cybera.ca
Tue Sep 11 20:37:47 UTC 2012

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for your commends.

Horizon support for Quantum in Folsom is limits to the core "L2
> networks + IP address management" aspects of Quantum.  Quantum itself
> didn't add support for L3 and Floating IPs didn't land until extremely
> late in Folsom, so its not Horizon's fault that this is not supported.

Yes, understood. I am not trying to place blame anywhere. As a service
provider, I'm trying to figure out how end-users will now use Folsom-based
clouds.

> quantum has its own set of floatingip commands that will be available
> to tenants:

snip

> Networks that support floating ips can be identified by searching for
> networks where router:external=True .  We haven't yet added a
> convenient CLI command for that, but you can do:
>
> quantum network-list -- --router:external=True

My only concern with this is the possible increase in knowledge and steps
that an end-user will have to know and do in order to get their instance
publicly available on the internet.

Users were used to a two step process (allocate and associate). They now
have to use a command line tool. As long as the quantum tool can be
installed on client machines and place calls to the quantum service, this
can be acceptable.

In my opinion, it is starting to place more work on the end-user that they
would like if they now have to first lookup an external network, then
allocate an IP from that network, then associate that IP to an instance,
all with a CLI.

If I am thinking about this in the wrong way, I apologize.

> This will be covered in the Quantum admin guide.

Again, if I'm thinking about this wrong and these scenarios will be covered
in the admin guide, I apologize.

> Early in Grizzly we'll also probably work on a mechanism for proxying
> Nova floatingip API calls to Quantum floating IP calls.

What are the chances of a backport or doing this early enough that some of
this new code can be run inside Folsom?

Thank you again for your help.

Joe

--
Joe Topjian
Systems Administrator

www.cybera.ca

Big data is coming to Canada. Join the welcome wagon.
*Cyber Summit 2012*
October 1-3, Banff
www.cybera.ca/summit2012

Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use
of cyberinfrastructure.