[Openstack] Quantum, Horizon, and IPs

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Tue Sep 11 20:12:05 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Joe Topjian <joe.topjian at cybera.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Regarding a bug currently being worked on
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/horizon/+bug/1040956), I'd like clarification on
> some of the comments.
>
> It sounds like the bug will not fully be fixed until Grizzly. Until then,
> the api is returning an empty list for a few functions.
>
> From reading Dan's last comment, it sounds as though end-users will not be
> able to allocate a floating IP to their project via Horizon? Given that,
> will they will not be able to associate floating IPs to instances, either?

Horizon support for Quantum in Folsom is limits to the core "L2
networks + IP address management" aspects of Quantum.  Quantum itself
didn't add support for L3 and Floating IPs didn't land until extremely
late in Folsom, so its not Horizon's fault that this is not supported.

> If this is true, what will the recommended tool / commands be for end-users
> to manage floating IPs for themselves?

quantum has its own set of floatingip commands that will be available
to tenants:

  floatingip-associate       Create a mapping between a floating ip
and a fixed ip.
  floatingip-create          Create a floating ip for a given tenant.
  floatingip-delete          Delete a given floating ip.
  floatingip-disassociate    Remove a mapping from a floating ip to a fixed ip.
  floatingip-list            List floating ips that belong to a given tenant.
  floatingip-show            Show information of a given floating ip.

Networks that support floating ips can be identified by searching for
networks where router:external=True .  We haven't yet added a
convenient CLI command for that, but you can do:

quantum network-list -- --router:external=True

This will be covered in the Quantum admin guide.

Early in Grizzly we'll also probably work on a mechanism for proxying
Nova floatingip API calls to Quantum floating IP calls.

Dan

> Thanks,
> Joe
>

> --
> Joe Topjian
> Systems Administrator
> Cybera Inc.
>
> www.cybera.ca
>
> Big data is coming to Canada. Join the welcome wagon.
> Cyber Summit 2012
> October 1-3, Banff
> www.cybera.ca/summit2012
>
> Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
> innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use of
> cyberinfrastructure.

Dan Wendlandt
Nicira, Inc: www.nicira.com
twitter: danwendlandt