[Openstack] Quantum features in the folsom release

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Mon Sep 10 18:39:36 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Bilel Msekni <skible at hotmail.fr> wrote:
> Hi Stackers,
>
> Can someone here help me out by detailing the new Quantum features that will
> be available in the Folsom release. Even a link or anything could help ! i
> can't seem to find any proper documentation and i have to persuade my boss
> about the potentials of Quantum :)

Hi Bilel,

Don't worry, the Quantum team is working hard on docs for Folsom as we speak.

At an extremely high-level, the two main things that Quantum provides are:

1) A rich tenant-facing API for defining networks.  This let's tenants
create rich network topologies, including multiple private networks,
multi-tier web applications, etc. and choose which IP subnets are used
on these networks (this even works if two tenants decide to use the
same subnet).

2)  Quantum has pluggable backends that allow cloud operators to use
more advanced network technologies on the back-end.  For example, you
can use Open vSwitch tunneling to avoid limitations around VLANs or
take advantage of a plugin that is aware of advanced hardware
capabilities.

The Quantum Admin Guide is still in draft form and we're hoping to
have a publicly consumable draft near the end of this week.  That
should provide the additional details about specific capabilities.

Dan

> Thanks

Dan Wendlandt
Nicira, Inc: www.nicira.com