[Openstack] Quantum DHCP support.

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Tue Sep 4 09:13:39 UTC 2012

On 09/04/2012 12:03 PM, Takaaki Suzuki wrote:
> Hi
>
> Currently, I see that DHCP instance is created per network, at least
> from looking at the Dnsmasq implementation.
>
> I'm curious to know how a DHCP instance can provide services to a VM
> attached to a port on a network that has multiple subnets.
>
> It doesn't seem possible to me that a VM can get two IP addresses on
> an interface from this DHCP server. Is this feature supported in
> Quantum?
>
> I ran a quick test using Devstack + QuantumV2 + OVS plugin.  I created
> one network called "test04", and two subnets for tor the network,
> 192.168.10.0/24 and 192.168.30.0/24.
When a Quantum port is allocated an IP address is selected from one of
the subnets configured on the network (unless the user has requested
more than one IP address). The DHCP agent will learn this IP address and
update the hosts file.

Can you please provide the following information:
1. can you please do quantum port-list?
2. Is the DHCP agent running (q-dhcp in stackrc)?
3. How did you launch the VM's? Did you use nova boot --nic
net-id=quantum network ID?
4. Can you please check that the host files has the MAC address and IP
address of your VM - this is under /opt/stack/data/dhcp/<network id>/..

Thanks
Gary