[Openstack] new mailing list for bare-metal provisioning

Mark T. Voelker mvoelker at cisco.com
Mon Oct 29 18:10:15 UTC 2012

> subscribe to the Nova topic at the link above. When I write a message
> about nova I have to add '[Nova]' (or 'Nova') anywhere in the subject

(Sidenote: does 'Nova' actually work?  Looks to me like the regex in
mailman requires the square braces...)

Personally I'm fine with either model, but just to call out the common
complaint I hear about topics: I think a lot of folks feel that what you
just pointed out is actually a major weakness.  The topic functionality
requires that *each individual sender* be aware of that functionality
and format his subject lines accordingly.  That often doesn't happen
even with folks who've been active in the community for some time, let
alone folks who are new.  When someone doesn't format his subject
properly, it either causes clutter when email sorting filters break or
causes folks to miss messages about things they care about if they've
subscribed only to particular topics.  I know there have been at least a
couple of threads about Quantum in the past couple of weeks (one
pertaining to Ceilometer integration, one pertaining to the Folsom
stable branch come to mind) that didn't have [Quantum] (or [Ceilometer]
for that matter) in the subject line.  Thus, I'd have missed those
messages if I were only subscribed to the Quantum topic.

Personally I like to see everything so it doesn't much matter to me
other than in how I set up my email filters, but I think perhaps this is
one reason why we've had the discussion about more vs fewer mailing
lists more than once.

At Your Service,

Mark T. Voelker