[Openstack] new mailing list for bare-metal provisioning

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Mon Oct 29 13:01:50 UTC 2012

On 10/29/2012 12:32 PM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> We really shouldn't go in that direction: the openstack-dev list is
> already an aggregator of topics, since we use "mailman topics" on it.

Indeed, mailman topics are very powerful. The current topics for
openstack-dev are listed on each subscriber's personal page:

http://lists.openstack.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/openstack-dev

As a subscriber of openstack-dev I can decide to receive only messages
tagged for a topic by selecting the ones I'm interested in. As a writer
of a message I can tag it by adding the topic to the subject line of the
message.

For example, if I want to receive only messages for Nova, I can
subscribe to the Nova topic at the link above. When I write a message
about nova I have to add '[Nova]' (or 'Nova') anywhere in the subject.

Creating a topic of bare-metal is easy, using topics is a matter of
habit. I believe that we should not create more lists unless strictly
necessary. I also understood from David that the baremetal group felt
very strongly against using any of the existing list, even when I
suggested to use topics. I'm glad we're having this conversation now and
I'm open to any outcome.

/stef