[Openstack] Quotas in folsom

Kevin L. Mitchell kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com
Mon Oct 29 16:27:45 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-10-29 at 10:53 -0400, Mitchell Broome wrote:
> I'm running into quota problems trying to increase the number of
> security groups and rules within security groups per tenant.  Setting
> quota_security_groups and quota_security_group_rules in nova.conf seem
> to have no effect.  There also doesn't seem to be any way to change
> the quota limits for security groups through the nova client or
> horizon.

The quotas system checks the database for quotas specific to the tenant,
then for quotas for the tenant's quota class (if you're using quota
classes).  Only if it can't find any such quotas will it go to the
values defined in nova.conf.

You're right that these particular quotas are not among the quotas
recognized by the nova shell command, but you can access them through
the pythonic API; I'm guessing that the new quotas were added to nova
itself during the folsom release cycle, but nobody remembered to update
novaclient to recognize them.  Could you log a bug against folsom for
that, please?

> How do I go about changing these quotas or is there a way to disable
> all quotas all together?

Check the database itself for quota records for your tenants; you can
revert to defaults (drawn from nova.conf) by deleting any 'quotas' table
rows for the resources you're interested in.  If it still doesn't take
the values you set in nova.conf, then there's likely some other bug that
needs to be looked into…
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com>