[Openstack] Ceilometer, StackTach, Tach / Scrutinize, CloudWatch integration ... Summit followup

Angus Salkeld asalkeld at redhat.com
Fri Oct 26 00:30:15 UTC 2012

On 25/10/12 11:13 +0000, Sandy Walsh wrote:
>grizzly-common-instrumentation seems to be the best choice ... hopefully the other groups will use this etherpad too.
>
>We need a proper blueprint to nail down the approach. IRC is great, but doesn't retain history for other groups. I think we need to get a plan for translating the etherpad into something concise and nailed down.

Agree.

>statgen should really just be a new notifier in Tach (or Scrutinize) ... vs copy-pasting the code into yet-another repo.  Hopefully that's the plan? Tach should remain a generic tool and not pegged to OpenStack.

Well that was just an "ideas play pen" not serious code.

I might be coming at this from a slightly different angle...
I was looking at a library that can be used to generate trace, monitoring
and metering data (kind of like log levels for logging). Currently both
Tach and Scrutinize don't have enough fields (of course that could be changed).

Also I think we should be able to insert instrumentation into the code as well
as have the function level performance metrics monkey patched.

Then we could have a config that directed metric data to different notifiers
like how you do it in Scrutinize perhaps. Also enforcing data rate limits
and possible data aggregation could be neat configurable features.

Anyway more at the meeting...

-Angus