[Openstack] Ceilometer, StackTach, Tach / Scrutinize, CloudWatch integration ... Summit followup

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Oct 25 11:13:32 UTC 2012

grizzly-common-instrumentation seems to be the best choice ... hopefully the other groups will use this etherpad too.

We need a proper blueprint to nail down the approach. IRC is great, but doesn't retain history for other groups. I think we need to get a plan for translating the etherpad into something concise and nailed down.

statgen should really just be a new notifier in Tach (or Scrutinize) ... vs copy-pasting the code into yet-another repo.  Hopefully that's the plan? Tach should remain a generic tool and not pegged to OpenStack.

-S
From: openstack-bounces+sandy.walsh=rackspace.com at lists.launchpad.net [openstack-bounces+sandy.walsh=rackspace.com at lists.launchpad.net] on behalf of Angus Salkeld [asalkeld at redhat.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 1:00 AM
To: openstack at lists.launchpad.net
Subject: Re: [Openstack] Ceilometer, StackTach, Tach / Scrutinize, CloudWatch integration ... Summit followup

On 24/10/12 23:35 +0000, Sandy Walsh wrote:
>Hey y'all,
>
>Great to chat during the summit last week, but it's been a crazy few days of catch-up since then.
>
>The main takeaway for me was the urgent need to get some common libraries under these efforts.

Yip.

>So, to that end ...
>
>1. To those that asked, I'm going to get my slides / video presentation made available via the list. Stay tuned.
>
>2. I'm having a hard time following all the links to various efforts going on (seems every time I turn around there's a new metric/instrumentation effort, which is good I guess :)

Here is some fun I have been having with a bit of tach+ceilometer code.
https://github.com/asalkeld/statgen

>Is there a single location I can place my feedback? If not, should we create one? I've got lots of suggestions/ideas and would hate to have to duplicate the threads or leave other groups out.

I'll add some links here that I am aware of:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+bug/1071061
https://etherpad.openstack.org/grizzly-common-instrumentation
https://etherpad.openstack.org/grizzly-ceilometer-actions
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/nova-instrumentation-metrics-monitoring

>3. I'm wrapping up the packaging / cleanup of StackTach v2 with Stacky and hope to make a more formal announcement on this by the end of the week. Lots of great changes to make it easier to use/deploy based on the Summit feedback!
>
>Unifying the stacktach worker (consumer of events) into ceilometer should be a first step to integration (or agree upon a common YAGI-based consumer?)
>
>4. If you're looking at Tach, you should also consider looking at Scrutinize (my replacement effort) https://github.com/SandyWalsh/scrutinize (needs packaging/docs and some notifier tweaks on the cprofiler to be called "done for now")

Looks great! I like the monkey patching for performance as you have
done here, but we also need a nice clean way of manually inserting instrumentation
too (that is what I have been experimenting with in statgen).

Can we chat in #openstack-metering so we are a bit more aware what we are all up to?

-Angus