[Openstack] Finding/Making Windows 7 Images for OpenStack

Luis Fernandez Alvarez luis.fernandez.alvarez at cern.ch
Wed Oct 24 20:43:34 UTC 2012

Yes, you can do it with virt-manager. First, if you need it, you can modify the ISO... and then, with virti-manager you can create a machine to install the operating system (obtaining the disk image that should be uploaded to glance)

The best way (IMHO) to deploy the template is generalizing the system, because it will bring you the oppotunity of reuse the image template. To do that, when the installer asks for your computer name, press Ctrl + Shift + F3 and you will enter in audit mode.

In this state, you can modify the system before generalize, and finally you should run "c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /shutdown /generalize /oobe" (have a look to the command). Then, your virtual machine is turned off and you'll be able to pick the disk, convert it to qcow2 (if needed), and add it to glance. With the image generalized, the next time it boots (on openstack), the OS will check the system to install drivers, etc, etc...

Good luck!

Cheers,

Luis