[Openstack] Finding/Making Windows 7 Images for OpenStack

Curtis C. serverascode at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 17:05:27 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 3:11 AM, Luis Fernandez Alvarez
<luis.fernandez.alvarez at cern.ch> wrote:
> Hi Curtis,
>
> If you're planning to use Windows 7 images with KVM hypervisors, the main steps I follow are:
>
> 1- Modify your Windows 7 image to inject virtio drivers (http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGuestDrivers/Download_Drivers).
>     To do that in a stylish way... you can use the Windows AIK that includes DISM.exe and IMAGEX.exe that
>     let you inject drivers to the WIM files included in Windows 7 installation media.
>     I don't know if you have experiencie with it...but...after mounting the wim files with imagex, you should run
>     something like: "dism /image:C:\path\mount /add-driver /driver:c:\virtiodrivers\win7\x86"

Hi,

Yeah, I will not be able to do anything stylish with Windows b/c of my
lack of experience with Windows. :)

>     * Alternatively: you can just add it during installation from an external media.

That I have done. I definitely get the need for the virtio drivers.

> 2- Use a tool like Aeolus Oz to create the image (you can automate it with unattend.xml files) or the graphical KVM/qemu interface.

So once I create the image I should use something like virt-manager to
set it up? Maybe that's the step I'm missing.

> 3- Convert it to qcow2 and send it to glance.

Right.

> If you need further information, do not hesitate to contact me.

I very well may have to, thanks for the offer. :)

I will checkout setting up the image after the initial install with
virt-manager.

Thanks,
Curtis.

> Cheers,