[Openstack] Volume booting and HVM

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 16:53:14 UTC 2012

The ability to clone an image to a volume was only recently added to cinder, so there is no automatic clone on boot in horizon yet. You will have to manually create a volume from an image and then boot from it.

For older versions of openstack, the instructions are here:

http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/boot-from-volume.html

In folsom you can skip the mount and copy step and just create a volume directly from an image:

IMAGE_ID=f4addd24-4e8a-46bb-b15d-fae2591f1a35
cinder create --image-id $IMAGE_ID --display-name my-volume 10
VOLUME_ID=<uuid from above command>
$ nova boot --image $IMAGE_ID --flavor 2 --key_name mykey --block_device_mapping vda=$VOLUME_ID boot-from-vol-test

Vish