[Openstack] Volume booting and HVM

Egoitz Aurrekoetxea Aurre egoitz at ramattack.net
Mon Oct 22 11:02:38 UTC 2012

Good morning,

I have noticed I was confused about the volume concept and booting from volume. I was thinking, when I clicked in Horizon "boot from volume" AND selected an HVM image (located at glance) that image was being dumped to the volume, and following times that volume would be able to boot by it's own. But have seen when I terminate de instance I'm not getting my purpose and I'm not able to later boot from that volume with preserved changes (configs and so)…. How could I manage for getting my goal??. We're used to use the vms with XenCenter and then I was able to stop a vm and later to boot it. I'm looking for a similar manner with Openstack. I though I was get my goal by selecting booting from volume AND launching and image….

Any help would be very appreciated,
Best regards