[Openstack] Cinder Improvement for Grizzly

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Wed Oct 10 04:24:39 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Akira Yoshiyama <akirayoshiyama at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to join the next design summit but I can't because of the current
> job.
> So I wrote my ideas for cinder improvement to etherpad.
> I hope someone will take up them (or a part of them) at the summit.
>
> http://etherpad.openstack.org/CinderImprovementsForGrizzly
>
> Table of contents:
>
> * New features
> * Shared volumes for instances
>
> * APIs
> * Validation for all parameters
> * Validation for state transitions
> * Keeping previous state for rollback
>
> * Drivers
> * VolumeDriver as the real base class
> * Unification of create_volume()+create_export() and
> remove_export()+delete_volume()
> * Zeroing volumes not at deleting but at creating
> * Common FileDriver
> * Post function of nova-side drivers for terminate_connection()
> * One driver per module file
> * Checking whether commands work in check_for_setup_error()
>

> Any comments will be gratefully appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Akira Yoshiyama <akirayoshiyama at gmail.com>

Hi Akira,

Thanks for putting this list together.  A number of things on your list
have been mentioned at different weekly meetings etc so you definitely
targeted some good ideas.

I'm sure that we'll cover a number of these during various sessions at the
summit.  We'll sync up via session etherpads, but don't hesitate to add
some items to the weekly cinder meeting agenda [1], and be sure to drop in
and present some of these ideas.

There's always the blue-print process as well.

Thanks,
John

[1] http://wiki.openstack.org/NovaVolumeMeetings