[Openstack] Launch instance on a second compute node

Afef MDHAFFAR afef.mdhaffar at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 15:06:29 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I am trying to add a second compute node. I use Ubuntu 12.04 with XCP.
nova-manage service list show that the second node is working and correctly
added to the cloud:
-------------------------
nova-manage service list
2012-10-06 14:53:50 DEBUG nova.utils
[req-e73cab5f-b984-48dc-aee7-98298a9a5dc9 None None] backend <module
'nova.db.sqlalchemy.api' from '/opt/stack/nova/nova/db/sqlalchemy/api.pyc'>
from (pid=2588) __get_backend /opt/stack/nova/nova/utils.py:502
Binary           Host                                 Zone
Status     State Updated_At
nova-compute     DevStackOSDomU                       nova
enabled    :-)   2012-10-06 14:53:49
nova-network     DevStackOSDomU                       nova
enabled    :-)   2012-10-06 14:53:49
nova-compute     DevStackOSDomU                       nova
enabled    XXX   2012-10-04 12:57:37
nova-cert        DevStackOSDomU                       nova
enabled    :-)   2012-10-06 14:53:47
nova-scheduler   DevStackOSDomU                       nova
enabled    :-)   2012-10-06 14:53:47
nova-consoleauth DevStackOSDomU                       nova
enabled    :-)   2012-10-06 14:53:42
nova-network     DevStackOSDomU1                      nova
enabled    :-)   2012-10-06 14:53:57
nova-compute     DevStackOSDomU1                      nova
enabled    :-)   2012-10-06 14:53:57

However, I am still not able to launch an instance on the second compute
node, even if I clearly specify the compute node in the nova boot command (nova
boot --image 1 --flavor 2 --key_name test --hint force_hosts=
DevStackOSDomU1  my-first-server).

Any idea how to solve this porblem?

Thank you,
Afef