[Openstack] Is it possible to have several floating IPs per VM?

Jānis Ģeņģeris janis.gengeris at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 21:07:04 UTC 2012

Hello,

I have asked similar question about floating IPs before, but the Quantum
docs are now updated with section about provider networks.

Can this(multiple IP from same public net) be done if using provider
networks? As I understand from the docs then they map directly to VMs
without fixed ip + nat in the middle. And the user would see real IP
asigned to interface inside VM?

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Dan Wendlandt <dan at nicira.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 4:32 AM, Heinonen, Johanna (NSN - FI/Espoo)
> <johanna.heinonen at nsn.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was reading Quantum admin guide (folsom release). There was use case
> > “per-tenant routers with private networks”. In this example all floating
> IPs
> > were from the same subnet (30.0.0.0/22).
> >
> > I was wondering whether it is possible to have several floating IP
> subnets
> > and could one VM have floating IP from all of those? (If I have an
> > application that must be reachable from internet via two different
> > interfaces with two different IP addresses, can I do it with Quantum?)
>
> Not right now.  With Quantum, a router can only uplink to a single
> external network, and you can have at most one floating IP per
> external network (otherwise we could not unambiguously apply the
> policy of SNAT-ing VM initiated connections to the floating IP).  In
> Grizzly, we're planning on making router uplinks more sophisticated,
> which will include not only the ability to uplink to multiple networks
> with floating IPs, but also uplink to other types of connectivity,
> such as an external VPN.
>
> I'll update the admin guide to make this clear.
>
> Dan
>

> > Best regards,
> >
> > Johanna

> --