[Openstack] Network IP address setting in nova.conf file

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Oct 4 03:26:49 UTC 2012

Hi Ahmed -

I have logged a doc bug to clear up this mismatch:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1061352.

Appreciate you asking!

Here's some explanation for each setting.
fixed_range - fixed block of IP addresses handed out to VMs as they're
provisioned. So these could be a 10.0.0.0/4 block if you want, or the
192... block.
public_interface - some say this needs to be a physical nic, but when
you're running a POC on a VM on a laptop in VirtualBox for example, it
can be br100. It's what DevStack defaults to. This setting indicates
the interface nova-network uses to send the floating ip traffic on the
correct network. So if you have nova-network on each compute node then
yes, it belongs on the compute node.

The Install/deploy guide walks through Flat DHCP as the network
manager. If you use --network_bridge=br100 when you run the
nova-manage network command, nova will set up the bridge for you. This
example command uses 192.168.100.0/24 for the fixed range of IP
addresses: http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/install/apt/content/compute-create-network.html

Hope this helps.

Others on the list, feel free to correct my explanations as needed!
Thanks,
Anne