[Openstack] Discussion / proposal: deleted column marker

Johannes Erdfelt johannes at erdfelt.com
Tue Oct 2 17:12:10 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 02, 2012, Pitucha, Stanislaw Izaak <stanislaw.pitucha at hp.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know why soft-delete is still in place?
> Are there any reasons it can't / shouldn't be removed at this time?
> If it's possible to remove it, would you miss it?

I'm certainly not a fan of the database soft-delete for many of the same
reasons you've described, but there are some places where removing it
would require code changes.

Off the top of my head would be pretty much anywhere a context sets
read_deleted to 'yes' or 'only', which is a surprising number of places
now that I've done a grep.

I suspect at least a handful of those cases don't need the functionality
and others probably use it as a crutch around other problems.

JE