[Openstack] Using EC2 through OpenStack

Jonathan Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Tue Oct 2 13:30:50 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 12:19:45PM +0200, Michaƫl Van de Borne wrote:
:Hi all,
:
:This might be obvious, but I can't find the answer. Is there a way to
:control EC2 instances using OpenStack?

OpenStack provides the same facility as EC2 but on your own hardware,
so they don't really touch.  Glance (the image store componet of
OpenStack) can use S3 for storage, but I don't think it's a good idea
unless you have a a really fast pipe to Amazon and deep pockets to pay
transfer fees.  Perhaps others have different opinions on that point
(caveat: I haven't actually tried impeneting this that way)

You can use some of the same tools to manage instances on both since
OpenStack provides an EC2 compatible API (I've used euca2ools and  hybridfox
with both).

-Jon