[Openstack] Explanation about the demo quantum install

Robert Garron Robert.Garron at Access3000.net
Wed Nov 28 22:51:59 UTC 2012

Skible (and quantum developers in particular) -

Hi - First, I again want to thank Skible for an excellent HOWTO install
guide for Folsom 2012.2... as I was able to get Folsom "fully
operational per the guide" and perform all of the tests that have been
available to test the environment.

However - unfortunately I am strongly thinking of down grading (dumping
quantum) for the short term because it does not work when you actually
make VM's (see issue(s) below and tests performed). However, I write to
the list because I think I know why the "public" quantum (the quantum
obtained when you use apt-get install on a Ubuntu 12.10 server....) is
not working, but I do not have the capacity to alter the code and fix it...

The issue: The component "quantum" of Open Stack Folsom Release 2012.2
of Ubuntu 12.10, the networking piece of the system, is experiencing a
number of bugs which one of them is a show stopper for the use of
quantum. Upon making Microsoft based VM's (Windows 7/8, Server 2008 SP1,
R2 and the like) the VM's seem to never receive the complete and/or
proper networking information?  I see that many others are seeing this
same issue.

My quantum version is:
root at TestServer:~# quantum --version
quantum 2.0

Tests I have performed:
I have tried vmbuilder, virt-manager, virt-install, qemu-img, kvm-img
and taken working MS images on Essex and brought them to Folsom all to
no avail... The VM builders above all make working VMs, but the virtio
(Fedora) drivers (after getting them to load) seem to have no effect.  I
was able to get one built VM (I believe I used virt-manager for that
one) to ping, traceroute and even MS auto update and MS register the
server but nothing (no IP packets) seem to be able to route back to the
VM's.  No ssh shell, only vnc to the console(s).  One time only I was
able to perform internet traffic as stated.   In other words, a quantum
based network setup by the rules provided in the documentation simply
does not work at the moment.

{I see many e-mails about Folsom and quantum enhancements, but obviously
there seems to be a magic sauce that did not make it to the 'public'
Ubuntu quantal repository, as I am not thinking about enhancements, but
just simply to get the ability to run multiple independent and secure
VMs... Maybe no one else is testing with Microsoft servers?}

The Suspected issue:
         First Note1: -  When I tested quantum, I found it strange that
in addition to an icmp response of a created gateway, I was consistently
getting an icmp response from the first static ip in a created subnet
whether DHCP was on or off, if used for distribution of the IP's;  And
at this time I had no VMs built or loaded into glance, yet the subnet IP
was responding?

root at TestServer:/etc/apt# glance index
ID Name                  Disk Format          Container Format Size
------------------------------------ ---------------------------
----------- ----------- ----
58d7399e-b944-42a1-9f88-6e536ff91191  everesttest raw
ovf                 53687091200
7181f636-b648-4053-a7ba-0339511c5c45 myFirstImage qcow2
bare                       9761280

Note2:  I deleted some hyphens for e-mail spacing

ASIDE:  My setup - HP DL385 G7 with four (4) NIC ports using a physical
network driver that names each port em1-4.
Host system:  Ubuntu 12.10  Each time I tested a new VM builder above I
would wipe the system and reinstall Ubuntu with a clean copy (as pointed
out by Skible to me, I was not sure that some operations may interfere
or conflict with each other from the components of each of the builders,
especially, as initially I started with nova network.  I would assume
that nova network and quantum could NOT co-exist?  {If this is true,
quantum should add a test to see what other 'networks' are present to
avoid such conflicts... anyway some of the builders try to control and
change /etc/network/interfaces as well, such as qemu (See qemu up and
qemu down...)

So, I suspect that the current development quantum has some "lab based
network" testing/development built in, as ALL of the tools to build VMs
NEVER saw the quantum network(s) built, defined, or otherwise.  In
addition, some sites were talking about definitions that should appear
in iptables, and my iptables never had any "quantum" entries when I
built networks.  Which I then started to simply make many quantum
network entries and none of them showed up in iptables, but they did all
show up in ifconfig -a.  I tried br-ex, br-int, and br-tun then I tried
simple networks - an internal VM network 10.10.10.x/28 with an external
floating ip network with route-able internet subnet (x.x.x.x - not
posting my network).  All the networks I created with quantum showed up
in ifconfig but not picked up by any of the above builders, especially
the one recommended in the Folsom compute documentation, i.e. kvm .......

My conclusion, and I can be totally off base on this, as I am simply a
guy trying to use Open Stack, the quantum code in the 'public'
repository simply points to some set of networking tables that are not
the kernal or 'normal' networking tables, thus all of the building
tools, virt-manager, vmbuilder, virt-install, kvm and others do not
pickup upon the quantum defined networks and associated sub-networks.
Why, I do not know, that is the mystery to me!

I am available to anyone wishing to ask me more detailed questions of my
tests and I am willing to test other versions of quantum, but for now I
need sleep as I have been testing different configurations for that last
four weeks after I thought I was home free using Skible's HOWTO... oh well.

Regards to all developers - Open Stack Rocks!
Robert