[Openstack] Volume handling

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Fri Nov 16 18:44:59 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 3:17 AM, Nicolae Paladi <n.paladi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this is likely an RTFM question, but I haven't found any relevant 'FM' so
> I decided
> to ask on the mailing list before digging into the code:
>
> How are volumes mapped to the instances after they are restarted?

In terms of a reboot of the instance, I believe this is handled via the BDM
table in the DB, it's checked on a reboot and the attach is verified.

> How can a volume created earlier be identified to be attached to a newly
> spawned intance?

Not sure I see the question here, use the same process "nova volume-attach
<server-uuid> <volume-uuid> <path>

> Are the IQNs created during volume creation exposed anywhere
> else than the compute nodes?

Nope, not really.  You can find what they are either by checking the DB or
checking the persistence file info for the volume
(/var/lib/cinder/volumes/xxx, or devstack:
/opt/stack/data/cinder/volumes/xxxx)