[Openstack] Network interfaces

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 18:27:37 UTC 2012

On Nov 6, 2012, at 4:10 AM, Daniel Oliveira <dvalbrand at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I once had some problems with Openstack regarding network configuration, so I thought I needed to have a better understanding on the configuration possibilities. I'm no expert, though, and even after reading this link, I couldn't fully understand the difference between the parameters public_interface, flat_interface and vlan_interface. Could someone help me understand?

public_interface == the interface where floating (natted) ips will be created.

In flatdhcp mode flat_interface is a physical interface that will get added in to br100 along with all the vm interfaces (see http://wiki.openstack.org/UnderstandingFlatNetworking)

In vlan mode, you specify vlan_interface instead of flat_interface. In this case a separate is created on the interface for each tenant in the system. Vms for each tenant are bridged into their own vlan.

Vish